About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Friday, December 5, 2014

The Children Descend

What is happening?!

So, I still work at the elementary school and it's getting weirder. Yesterday, one of the classes I work with had a bit of free time toward the end of the day where they could colour, read, or do a craft. For some reason, a few of them decided to just come talk to me. Then a few more... and a few more... Then, out of the clear blue sky, one of the girls wraps her arms around me and won't let go! This made all the others basically attack me in a massive group hug!

All night long I was awake, trying to think of why they would do that. I mean, don't they know me? Don't they know how cranky, self-conscious, and awkward I am? But then I remembered... this school is the weirdest and most amazing school I've ever seen. Boys and girls playing together no matter if it's football, hands up-stands up, wall ball, or jump rope. Girls, boys, special needs, and regular education kids. They don't care if you're short, fat, socially awkward, or even if you have a mental illness. They see the heart instead of the head.

These kids are truly amazing and I hope that as they grow up, they'll never lose that piece of acceptance that we all seem to. And maybe one day, they'll know exactly what they did for a classroom aide they knew once.


Yes, this is a love song, but take the chorus out of context and it's pretty awesome.

"Listen to Your Heart" ~ The Maine
Don't listen to the voices in your head, listen to your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment