About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Monday, November 23, 2015

Listen, Please

"I know you can hear me, but I don't think you're listening."

Do you have someone in your life that, no matter how hard you try, you can't connect with for the simple reason of, they don't listen? It's infuriating! You can talk until you're blue in the face, but it just goes in one ear and out the other. Everyone needs to be heard. Especially by the people closest to them. The pain it causes when you're not heard can dig deep and take years to heal; if ever.

Ranting in 3... 2... 1...

My father, hard worker that he may be, has 100%, absolutely no idea how to be a dad. He removed himself from my life when I was about eight, only doing the mandatory tasks since. He'd take me to my dance/band/choir performances, but all he'd ever say afterward was "nice." When I ask him to take me to a doctor appointment, he'll go walk around so I have to call him and wait when I'm done.

Why am I on this rant? Because he has once again taken my sister's side. Doesn't matter what the issue, he will take her side. Every. Time. I told you a while back that my sister is out-grudging me. Well, I asked if he'd mentioned anything to her about thanking me. His response? "I said this is from Charmaine. She said 'Yeah, that's nice.'" Call me crazy, but I didn't hear anything about him directly asking her if she had thanked me. Side note: She hasn't.

So, I said that until my sister can get off her high horse, it's going to be awkward for her at our house. My father then went on about how he hopes that this conflict will end soon. Mind you, he doesn't seem to notice or even care that I have made a gesture and the ball is in my sister's court now. My mother is on my side. She's asked my sister if she'd thanked me. No response, but at least she's tried.

My father says he doesn't know how to talk to me. If he'd listen once in a while, maybe he would.

"Whatever You Say"~ Martina McBride

No comments:

Post a Comment