About Me

I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Friday, October 13, 2023

Redemption

I'm quite literally in shock.

I sent this text to some of my friends, and it's the best way I can get this out, so I'm sorry if you've already read most of this...

My mom and I went to Sam's Club for lunch (because tasty). As we're walking back to my car, I hear someone call my name. I turned around, and she says, "Can I talk to you for a minute?" I'm super confused and have no idea who she is, until she pointed at herself and said, "Brooke." Instant rage, and I wanted to turn around, but I decided to listen to what she had to say. She starts crying and saying how sorry she is for how horrible she was to me. "You have every right to tell me to f*** off." But still, I listened. She just kept saying how terrible she was, and how there's no excuse, and how there's no way to rectify what she'd done, but she's sorry. Legit crying, so I assume she's genuinely apologetic. I gave her a hug because I never even thought this day would come, and I had no words. Well, I did tell her about how the Japanese people will repair broken things with gold so that something broken can be beautiful. It was cheesy, but it just came out. She said how gracious I was and how good a person I was for listening to her instead of walking away. 

My brain is silent. I have no idea how to process this.

What's more is that she apologized to my mom for what she went through watching me go through the torture and torment. She hopes her kids don't wind up like she did, and I told her with the knowledge she has now, she'll be able to help her kids understand how to treat others. 

I'm not crying. I'm not laughing. I'm... in shock. I don't know what to do or how to feel. This girl tormented and tortured me from age eight, all the way through our senior year of high school. Through memories and nightmares, she has tortured me for the eighteen years since high school. That's roughly twenty-eight years she's tortured me. I have no idea what to do with this. 

I do, however, think I feel calm. I think I've forgiven her. I think this will change my life, as well as hers. We even took a selfie as picture proof that this happened. I won't post it in here to protect her privacy, though.

Rest of my life: Day One

3 comments:

  1. Such an unexpected experience that will hopefully change the tides for the future. I am happy that she saw the error of her ways and was willing enough to approach you and try to apologize for her behavior. Big hugs sent to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time changes people and restitution is a powerful thing acceptance is another factor. Move forward with your life and put this behind you, your relationship may still be impaired but know in your heart that person has expressed sorrow for wrongdoing and that is all we can ask for in life Rie. Be the better person and forgive yourself in the process despite no fault from yourself you are only human and emotions can be high. Thank you for sharing this.
    Rosemary Yim. Social Worker and long time friend. UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you my love and respect always. Rosemary.xxxxx

    ReplyDelete