About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Friday, February 12, 2016

Driving Me Nuts

This has been on my mind lately...

Every day innocent people die on the roads because someone else made a conscious decision to drive drunk, look at a mobile device (phones, GPS, etc.), intentionally run a red light, and a myriad of other distractions. To me, these are the most selfish people out there. They're saying "I don't care about you. I'm going to do what I feel like."

I'm a huge advocate for charging each and every one of these idiots with first degree homicide. When you get behind the wheel drunk, look at your phone, or run red lights, you know that there is a good chance that someone will get hurt or die. Your actions are premeditated.

When I was eleven, I lost a classmate and one of the nicest kids you would have ever met because his only ride home chose to drive drunk. When I was eighteen, I witnessed a horrific wreck right by my house where two or three people died because someone decided to double the speed limit and ignore a merge. Last week, I read about a girl in my city who was looking at her phone and wound up killing two people.

Every single day I see people choosing themselves over the safety of those around. I frankly don't care what their reasoning is. "I'm late for work," "I'm supposed to pick someone up at this time," and "I have to pee" are not reasons to risk the lives of the other people on the road. There is absolutely no excuse to endanger others because you're late; there is even less of an excuse when you simply don't want to wait for the thirty second light.

A cab is cheaper than a DUI and less time consuming than prison. Your text can wait. The lights really aren't that long.  Drive responsible.

"Your lack of planning is not my emergency"- Unknown 

No comments:

Post a Comment