About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Monday, February 1, 2016

Positively Me

Well that was eye opening...

I managed to make it through my very first group therapy thing last Wednesday. I was pretty proud of myself. Granted, I didn't look at anyone and kept all my answers short, but I stayed the whole time and didn't die!

At this group, we played a version of Jenga that was associated with self-esteem. Each color block was associated with a color coded card. Pick a green block to move, read the green question on the card. It was fun. We got to know each other as well as learn skills from one another.

One of these questions lead to an response that really made me think. The case worker who runs the group pointed out that, we wouldn't dare treat our friends the way we treat ourselves. Why would we tell our friends that their mistakes are alright, yet be so critical of our own? Would you constantly remind your friend of that stupid thing they said five years ago? No. Why, then, remind yourself?

Since then, I've been trying to up my self-talk. I'm trying to tell myself more positive things. Now, I am by no means a master of this yet, but when I'm doing my physical therapy exercises or working out on my bike, I simply tell myself "I'm doing good." Baby steps.

I'm going to start working on not beating myself up when something stupid I did years ago pops into my head.

Whether or not you identify as mentally ill or not, everyone could use more positive self-talk. Start slow. Did you do the dishes? I'm doing great! Get a 'D' on your math test? I'll do better next time!

Your friends and family believe in you. It's time you started believing in you, too.

"Unconditionally"~ Katy Perry


2 comments:

  1. Good advice! I was told this in therapy years ago, and it helps a lot. I don't always remember to apply it though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a constant battle for me too. All we can do is keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete