About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Coping

I've got mad skills.

I've been overly stressed with work and my upcoming adventures going back to school, and I've been trying to cope with all of it in a nondestructive way. I'm not much of an eater, so snacking was out. I do exercise most mornings, but it's pretty low key. So I sat back and less than proactively searched for a coping mechanism. 

When I realised that the series of movies I was watching helped curb my stress and anxiety, I couldn't help but giggle. I mean, come on! Who in their right mind thinks, "I'm stressed and anxious. I'm going to make it better by watching Harry Potter." Harry. Freaking. Potter. It's dark, intense, and would, in any normal circumstance, be the cause of some anxiety. 

Don't ask me why it helps because I'm still puzzled myself, but it does. I resigned myself to this fact and embraced the Harry Potter culture. I got on to pottermore.com and got sorted. I'm in Slytherin. I got a Slytherin hoodie and keychain and I'm just waiting to get my scarf and hat. Nerd alert! 

Basically, my point is that you may have an unconventional coping mechanism that doesn't fit with anything your therapist suggests. Although it's always best to listen to your therapist and try things they suggest. I got a worry stone out of my previous one and I use it constantly!

Even just wearing my Slytherin hoodie keeps me calm. Fall is going to be great this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment