About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Monday, October 19, 2015

The Jury's In

Snap judgments are my pet peeve.

I went to the dentist today. That blows my nerves on the best of days, but today was worse. I had to update (their term for "redo") my medical history. Normally, when you get to the psychiatric history, it asks about just depression, but this one asked specifically about anxiety, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, and psychiatric hospitalizations.

As soon as she mentioned Bipolar, my anxiety spiked and I had no choice but to say, "yes." The worst part: I could both see and hear her put up a wall that puts the Great Wall of China to shame. I'm not saying she thought I was going to blow the place up, just that she backed off and felt uncomfortable.

I wish I could say that this was the first time someone has had the same reaction. It happens every time I have to use the "B-word," whoever hears it flinches. Even when I tell a new therapist or psychiatrist. Makes me feel really good, let me tell you.

I believe that, if the media would stop blaming mental illness for horrific crimes, these reactions would slowly stop. Stigmas suck. I'm not "crazy," I'm sick.

"5-1-5-0"~ Dierks Bentley

No comments:

Post a Comment