About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Sunday, July 13, 2014

I AM NOT BIPOLAR!

As a society, we have accepted something horrific that I really think needs to be fixed.

When diagnosed with a mental condition, we're told "you are bipolar." We have always accepted this as normal. Now, let's again turn it around to physical conditions. If you were told, "you are cancer," you would be offended, and rightfully so. So why is it that we just accept that we are bipolar? Because society sees mental conditions as something shameful that must be hidden.

Story: When I was 22, I began to seek help from a psychologist. I didn't tell anyone. Not my boyfriend, my friends, not even my family because I didn't really want to admit to myself that I had a problem, let alone let someone else know. I was ashamed that I couldn't handle this on my own. At that point, I didn't even know what it was. But even when I got the definitive diagnosis 2 years later, I hid it from my friends and family even more because of what I had seen in movies and on the telly. People acting in ways that made them look crazy.

Bipolar does not equal crazy
 
 So, what we need to do is stop accepting that if it's physical, it's something you have, but if it's mental, it's something you are. If you are suffering from any form of mental condition, stop telling yourself that you are and start telling yourself that you have!
 
Right here, right now, I'm telling you that I am NOT bipolar. I HAVE bipolar.
 
I am NOT:
Angry
Aggressive
Moody
Hyper
ADD
 
I AM:
Caring
Compassionate
Smart
Focused
Capable of doing whatever I put my mind to!
 
Friends, never again let anyone tell you that you are your mental condition.
 
"Today you are you;
That is truer that true.
There is no one alive
That is youer than you."
        ~Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment