About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A Team

"D.A.R.E. to say no!"

So, I've always had an issue with people who drink or toke their way thru mental illness. Alcohol and crack are not medication (just in case you were wondering). It's just something I've never understood, and here's why...

I've had some horrid pain in a tooth that desperately needs a root canal. The usual over-the-counter meds didn't cut it, so I broke down and took a narcotic-based pain killer. Now, when I'm in pain, I'm less than pleasant, so, to everyone around, when the narcotic starts to kick in, it's a lovely reprieve (grammatically correct run-on sentence #1). But it doesn't just boost my mood to pleasant... I keep climbing into a full-blown mania (a little different from natural mania, but hard to explain).

It's great (ish) when I'm up there. My room gets cleaned and organised, blog posts (sometimes) get done, and everything is puppies and sunshine. But after about 4 hours, when the pain killer starts wearing off, watch out. It's a hard, fast crash.

So, it's easy for me to see how the addiction starts (taking another just to keep from crashing), but it's not a good feeling all around. I honestly hate it. I will do anything in my power to keep from having to take any narcotic-based pain killers.


Just in case you didn't quite understand the title...

1 comment: