About Me

I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Monday, May 4, 2020

Retroactive Mourning

And the hits just keep on coming...

So, my mom is in the hospital for a few days, and thanks to COVID, I can’t go visit her. This leaves me home alone with my father. I’ve had to talk to him, but to be honest, it’s actually gone well. We even had a pleasant conversation at dinner tonight.

With mom in this situation, my nerves are shot. But I was dealt a blow today that put me completely out of commission for a few hours. I pulled myself together, put my mind into schoolwork (school started today, which adds to my stress, too), and though I couldn’t put it out of my mind completely, I was functioning. To some degree, anyhow.

For a couple years now, every time I typed “know” into a Facebook post, an old, dear friend of mine would pop up as an option to tag. I haven’t heard from her in years, so I thought I’d check out her profile. Somehow, we weren’t Facebook friends, which was weird. So I asked a mutual friend to see if this friend was online still, and check in to see how she’s doing. My friend came back with a punch right to my stomach. This friend had passed away more than a year ago.

I sat down, my legs buckling, and I cried. Even now, I’m crying just thinking about it. I got nauseated, and I couldn’t breathe. 

This friend and I had a very strange beginning. We were in 8th grade, the only year we were in the same school. I kept hearing things about how she was going to beat me up. Mind you, she was twice my size. 

Well, our parents were called in for a meeting with us to discuss the trouble. Turns out, she‘d been hearing all about these things I was supposedly saying behind her back. The common denominator? Her brother. He was making things up to get us to fight.

Right after the meeting, this girl who I was straight up afraid of, wrapped her arms around me, and called me her friend. And it never changed. She was instantly the kindest, most welcoming person. 

I moved schools not long into the next year, so I wouldn’t see her again until 9th grade Lagoon day. *Lagoon is our local amusement park* We took a picture together, that day. It would be the only one I’d get.

This absolutely beautiful woman had four children of her own, and several step-children when she passed. She was 32-years-old. Barely.

Kristina, though you are gone, your smile will forever brighten my days. I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment