About Me

I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Saturday, November 14, 2020

Great Friends

Good friends aren’t always great friends.

Most of my life, I envied TV and movie characters who have their best friend right there with them, know each other better than they know themselves, and do everything together. No, I don’t have that kind of friends. I’ve got better friends.

There are three amazing women whom I call my closest friends. Not one of them lives in my state, and haven’t for quite some time, but we have never lost contact. That, dear readers, is a great friend.

In chronological order, these amazing examples of true friendship are:

Ms K (sorry, not using names). This beautiful woman came into my life when we were just seven years old. That’s second grade, for my American readers. We had a period of time where we lost contact, but once we found each other again, you wouldn’t have been able to tell that we’d been apart. Not long after we reconnected, she joined the United States Army. There, she met an incredible man (who is career Army, to boot!). Their adorable little family lived in different countries, but we still kept in contact. We’ve held on, despite distances. I’ve only actually been able to be with her, to actually see her, just a handful of times in the last fifteen years, but we’re still besties.

Captain B was in one of my classes in seventh grade. Pretty sure we were both thirteen when we met. Maybe twelve...? Anyhow... After (give or take) twenty-one years, she still surprises me with the absolutely hilarious things that come out of her mouth. This very driven woman has such a way with words. She doesn’t say things the way most people do. She has her own flair that can’t really be described. She’s always known what she wanted, and she worked her tush off to get it. The hardest-working person I know, and I get to call her my friend.

Ms A was in band during our sophomore year of high school. She has got to be the wisest person I know. I mean, when I’m complaining about something, she can see it from an outside viewpoint, and completely change how I look at it. She also has a knack for research, which I probably abuse. Got a question? She’s got the answer. Whether it’s medical, philosophical, or theoretical, she’s up for the challenge. She’s been through a lot, but rarely do I hear her complain. She’s always there, even if just in spirit.

I have known these brave, kind, intelligent women for decades. We don’t finish each other’s sentences, we’ve never shared a wardrobe, but I am tied to each of them with a bond stronger than blood.

I have many other awesome friends, and I hope they know how amazing they are. Each and every person I call my friend, has their own amazing talent, style, and story. No, I will never have TV friendships, but that’s ok, because I’ve got real friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment