About Me

I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Thursday, November 26, 2020

Thanks-Getting

Well, this is fun...

Thanksgiving is (usually) a time to gather with family, and share stories, thankfulness, and general happiness. Not in my house.

Today, I’m locked in a house with two of the most insufferable narcissists in history. Her royal highness, often referred to as Know-It-All, hasn’t even looked at me, let alone said so much as a “hello”. She’s going on, and on, and on about how much she knows about this and that. And the reigning narcissist is soaking up every word, despite never listening to, let alone believing, a single work any woman has ever said. Oh, and it keeps going back to the same topics, well after the subject has ended. 

I like maybe ten whole people in my so-called family. Cousins, aunts and uncles... I avoid the vast majority of them. I’ll spare you the reasons, because today is all about the narcissists (or so they’d like to think).

Literally everything is about them. The only reason King Narc said any word of thanks, was so that he got acknowledgment. And Princess Narc won’t shut up long enough to let my mom or me say anything. 

When these two get together, it’s intolerable. Mouths moving, competing for most words said in ten seconds, as well as those two stroking each other’s ego, so as to get it in return.

Princess Narc has been out of work because, well, 2020. Mom asked her about any new leads, and it was “Not many new jobs are posted.” So, I come back with how there are hundreds of new jobs on the sites I use. Her response was to go on about “junk jobs”, insinuating that jobs like mine are below her. I mean, how could I possibly have a “good” job, when I have the audacity to wear jeans?!?! I’ll say this one more time: No, my job isn’t glamorous, regular, or going to make me rich, but I love my job. I don’t care what she, or anyone else, thinks. I’m happy, for the first time in a decade, and nobody is going to make me feel like a lesser being. How many times have we heard the old, “If you like what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life”? Learn that quote, and live it, because it’s true.

I’m writing this, during dinner, counting the seconds until I can lock myself in my room, and be alone. 

But... As this is a day to express our thankfulness, I’m going to make a list. Feel free to share yours, in the comments. I’d love to read them!

- I’m thankful for my mom. She’s always been there, and rarely complains.
- I’m thankful for my aunt Ria, whose sassy-pants attitude is exactly what an aunt should be.
- I’m thankful for the time I got to spend with my dear Uncle Dick before he left us for a much better place.
- I’m thankful for music, and my ability to make it.
- I’m thankful for the job I get to be at. 
- I’m thankful for all my wonderful friends, near and far.
- I’m thankful for my ability to express myself through writing.
- I’m thankful for those family members who support each other, despite differing opinions and beliefs.
- I’m thankful for each experience, good and bad, that allow me to learn.

How’s about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment