About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Saturday, November 8, 2014

A True Kindness

You may never know the effect your words have on someone.

So, tonight, I went to a neighborhood Thanksgiving dinner. Yes, I know that Thanksgiving is more than two weeks away, but it's been a tradition in our neighborhood for as long as I can remember.

Anyway... I absolutely hate it. I only show up out of obligation. I know maybe ten people there anymore and actually talk to four. My neighborhood is what we call "newlywed or nearly dead" because, well, it's all newlyweds and older people. I'm neither, so it's pretty difficult to find things in common with anyone and I can't stand small talk.

I'm getting side-tracked... Well, my point is, there was a woman there who I have only met once before at her wedding reception. She married a guy I've knows for so long I can't actually remember not knowing him. When I was going through the line, making nice with people I've never met, she actually surprised me. She started talking to me like we were old friends catching up. Understand: this never happens to me. I've said before that people don't take the time to get to know me or think that I'm anything but weird. No pretenses, no snap judgments. I automatically liked her (which also never happens).

Side-tracked!!! Ok, so, this super cool woman said something to me tonight that changed the way I've been feeling for the last while. She probably has no idea that her simple words could mean so much. "What did she say," you ask? Well, she just said that she liked the color of my hair and it looked good. Side note: I dyed my hair.

So, I've been listening to depressing music for months on end because, well, that's been my mood. But when I got home tonight, this was the first thing I put on.

I Want to Live- Josh Gracin



No comments:

Post a Comment