About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Whatever you say

R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Find out what it means to me! (bet you sang that in your head!)

I've known my whole life that my father will get his way no matter what and anyone else's opinion doesn't matter. Whenever I point this out, he'll say, "that's not true." My mother knows, my sister knows, people we see once in a while know, but he won't admit it. He just has no respect for anyone other than himself.

Well, since he never listens to me when I talk, seeing as how he cannot accept that he does anything wrong, maybe, just maybe, he'll read this.

Dear dad,

I really wish you knew exactly how much it hurts when you don't listen to what I say, respect my opinions, or look up something I have just told you. I have to ask repeatedly for something to get done, and even at that, I have to pitch a fit, complete with yelling, to get you to do something simple that could have been done in 5 minutes. When I try to rearrange something in the house, you say, "I'm used to it this way," and change it back. When I ask you to not do something, you ignore me and continue doing whatever it is.

Now, when you want something done (e.g. Clean off the counter, put my coat away, etc.), it must be done now. Not in one minute... now! I'd give an example of when you try to rearrange something, but it never happens, as proven by the claustrophobic's nightmare. When you ask me to stop, I do. That, father, is called "respect."

Just for fun... here are some examples of things I've had to pitch a fit about...
~The neighbor's lights.
~My trophy (16 years...)
~The bookshelf.
~The desk.
~The fact that you couldn't learn that saying, "you're sick" was only going to escalate the issue.
~My floating bookshelves.
~My picture getting framed (15 years and I finally had to do it because it was getting damaged!)

I could go on for quite some time, but...

I don't like getting that angry, but it seems like the only option. I just think it's funny that you don't like people yelling, yet that is the only way I can get you to do anything. And you wonder why I always go to mom...

The few times I've actually gotten through to you, you say you'll change. Yeah... that lasts no more than a week. I've come to accept that I will never mean enough to you for you to make a real change, but I've also come to accept that respect is an earned thing and you haven't earned it.

"Whatever You Say" - Martina McBride

No comments:

Post a Comment