About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Speechless

I'm a little mixed about how I feel...

Yesterday, I talked about trying to find a good inpatient programme. Today, I follow that up with: I went to the emergency room last night. No, I didn't attempt anything, I was just desperate for meds and it was my last option.

I dragged my mom with me because I knew I would chicken out or overreact. When I first got there, I wanted to turn around and go home. I've been through this before and it's never pleasant. If you've ever been there, you know how demeaning it is. The nurses treat you like an inconvenience, the doctors know nothing about mental health, and the crisis worker just wants to do the admit because it's less work than actual patient care. Last night was... unexpected.

I get there, and the girl at the check-in wasn't condescending when she heard why I was there. She didn't necessarily go above and beyond to be kind, but to be honest, it was better this way- less demeaning. Then, the nurse who took me back to do all the vitals and whatnot was super nice and very understanding. She believed me when I said I had no active plan and didn't try to make me feel bad at all!

By this point, I figured that those were all the nice people in the place, and my hopes died, but it never ended. The techs, the nurse, the doctor, and the crisis counselor were possibly the best team I could have asked for! Every one of them treated me like a person! Never once was I described to someone else by my diagnosis, but simply by my room number. Better still, the crisis counselor actually listened to me! He realized that I didn't need to be admitted to inpatient, so instead of doing that, he found an alternative.

I'm still in a bit of shock. I've never been treated like an actual person in an ER before. Seriously, if you need anything in Utah, go to LDS Hospital. (No, they didn't pay me to say that...)


"Thank You"~ Dido

No comments:

Post a Comment