About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

I Will Remember You, Bugs

(Clever opening line goes here)

All my life I've never really cared if people didn't like me based simply on what I like or what I wear. I got relentlessly made fun of in sixth grade because I loved Hanson, but I never once denied that I did just to please anyone. In seventh grade, I had this blue lipstick that I couldn't live without; I got snotty comments left and right, but I kept wearing it. Basically, I refuse to change anything about myself for the simple reason of "to please you." My entire existence has been validated by an eight-year-old-girl.

This may sound entirely trivial to you, but it meant the world to me. Yesterday, some of my girls had a One Direction book (mostly for the pictures since they can't really read yet), and every one of them said that they liked Niall-- all except one. When she said she liked Liam, the other girls were practically appalled! "How could you think he's cute?!" But she never backed down. She didn't care that her choices weren't popular, she held to her opinions and didn't let anyone or anything sway her.

This school year, working with these kids, I've learnt quite a lot.
  • It doesn't matter where you come from, you'll always have a friend.
  • A mental illness label doesn't mean a thing.
  • No matter what bad things you think about yourself, someone else always has a different perspective.
  • Everyone has bad days, but tomorrow is a brand new start.
  • Your weight and dress size mean squat.
  • The unconditional love of a child is the best feeling in the world!
Today was my last day with these monkeys. I just hope I get the opportunity to see them again next year.

"I Will Remember You"~ Sarah McLachlan

No comments:

Post a Comment