About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Monday, March 30, 2015

I Don't Negotiate With Insecurities

I have no clever opening line today.

I was thinking today about something that happened a while ago, and it just sparked something in me to talk about it. Today's subject: body image.

We all know that Hollywood and fashion magazines have made unrealistic standards of beauty. We also know that there are people and organizations out there fighting this. I personally believe that there is no such thing as a physically ugly person, and someone's attitude and behavior determine their beauty. I see every single person as a beautiful creation who is perfect just the way they are. Well, almost every person.

I've never felt particularly pretty even though people have always told me otherwise. My entire life, I've heard, "you have such a beautiful smile." Every time someone says it, I suddenly become entirely self conscious and close my mouth. If someone says that I'm funny, I retreat into myself and become very literal. Basically, any kind of compliment makes me stop doing whatever it was that earned the compliment.

I got side tracked... Anyway, I don't remember all the exact details, but I posted on Facebook a while ago that I don't like my nose because it's too pointy. Not a big surprise seeing as how a pointy nose is a trait inherited from my mother's family. Well, one of my friends (sorry I can't remember who!) said that she had always liked my nose. I feel so bad that I can't remember who said it, but every time I look in the mirror and see Cyrano 2.0, I remember what she said.

If we could all think about the good things people say about us, we'd be better off. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen. I was scrolling through my Twitter feed, and saw a picture a girl had shared of new cuts on her legs and she put so many demeaning words about herself with it.  Now, I'll be the first to say that posting that to social media was a bad idea simply because so many people post so many things that it will almost always go unnoticed. When nobody notices our pain, it endorses the thoughts we have about our lack of self worth.

You are beautiful.
You are smart.
You are worth it.

"Love Me"~ Katy Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment