About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Monday, February 16, 2015

Where Do Stigmas Come From?

This is probably going to sound like I have a superiority complex...

I've been reading some things lately written by people who also have Bipolar, and the only thing I can say is, are you freaking kidding me?!

I've lost track of how many times I've said that I don't show emotion outside my house and that I like to pretend I don't have a problem. I don't want to talk about it all the time. I know I have a problem, but would you want to talk about that strange mole on your leg 24/7? I'm well aware of my shortcomings and do not need to be constantly reminded of them.

Then there are the people who are always using their mental illness as an excuse. If you're cranky, rude, or pitching a full-on fit, that's just you. Having a mental illness does not excuse anyone from having manners. I feel like the bottom of a compost heap every minute of every day, yet I manage to keep some sense of decorum. Screaming in the middle of the road while ripping your clothes off? Don't say "it's because I have Bipolar." It's not. I promise. You're just looking for a way out with the fewest repercussions.

I've seen people say they have some kind of mental illness to get out of trouble ranging from traffic tickets to that freak who shot up the theatre in Colorado. And we wonder where the stigmas come from...

If you feel like the bottom of a compost heap and need to stay home in bed, do it. There's nothing wrong with that. Don't, however, expect understanding and compassion when you act out and blame it on your brain. We are the only ones who can end the stigmas.

  • Mental illness does not give you special rights.
  • Mental illness is not an excuse for lack of decorum.
  • Using mental illness for your own advantage is only escalating stigmas.


Twitter: @AROTBEblog
Facebook Group: A Ride On The Bipolar Express


"Honestly"~ Hot Chelle Rae


No comments:

Post a Comment