About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Ride Of A Lifetime

Oww.

Four and a half years ago, I had a surgery to straighten my leg. Basically, the doctor broke it, twisted it, shoved a rod down it, and pinned it in five places. I was stuck in a wheelchair for three months and had to relearn how to walk.

Exactly thirteen months later, I had to have yet another surgery. When my bone was twisted, it pulled on my Achilles tendon so much that I most literally could not put my heel on the ground. This landed me in the chair for another three months and had to relearn how to walk again.

Yesterday, I did something that I haven't done since the summer before the first of the two life-altering surgeries: I rode my bike!

It was incredible! I had forgotten how much I love riding! It was the best mood-altering high I have felt in years! The wind in my face, the speed... pure freedom! I was in the best mood the rest of the day!

The down side hit me this morning. My butt is killing me. You know how bike seats are. They're not meant to be comfortable. I swear, there's a convention every year to see who can come up with the least comfortable design. Add that to the fact that I haven't ridden in about five years, and you get bruises that make me look like I had gotten pelted with paintballs!

It was quite the exercise for my injured hand/wrist/whatever as well. Now, every time I move my ring or pinky fingers, a horrid pain reminds me, "I'm here!" At least I won't forget that my hand is still attached...

Neither of these pains will stop me from riding, though. No chemically designed pill in the world could make me feel this good! It's unbelievable!

"Unbelievable"~ Owl City (Feat. Hanson)

1 comment: