About Me

I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Avoidance Queen Returns

Social Anxiety Disorder as defined by the DSM-5 (found @ socialanxietyinstitute.org)

A.  A persistent fear of one or more social or performance situations in which the person is exposed to unfamiliar people or to possible scrutiny by others. The individual fears that he or she will act in a way (or show anxiety symptoms) that will be embarrassing and humiliating.

B.  Exposure to the feared situation almost invariably provokes anxiety, which may take the form of a situationally bound or situationally pre-disposed Panic Attack.  

C.  The person recognizes that this fear is unreasonable or excessive.

D.  The feared situations are avoided or else are endured with intense anxiety and distress.

E.  The avoidance, anxious anticipation, or distress in the feared social or performance situation(s) interferes significantly with the person's normal routine, occupational (academic) functioning, or social activities or relationships, or there is marked distress about having the phobia.

F.  The fear, anxiety, or avoidance is persistent, typically lasting 6 or more months.

G. The fear or avoidance is not due to direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., drugs, medications) or a general medical condition not better accounted for by another mental disorder...

Copyright 2013, The American Psychiatric Association

This is me. I'm always afraid of doing or saying something stupid, I avoid social interaction as much as possible, I know it's excessive, and I've been doing this for years. Best part, I can't even handle the thought of going to something social.

This is on my mind right now, because in less than an hour, I have to leave to go to a group interview. A one-on-one interview is bad enough (Am I dressed properly? Will I say the right things? Is there something in my teeth?), but "group"? I'm freaking out!

For anyone who has been to a group interview, you know that you're all given an opportunity to speak (at least the one's I've been to). I'm a quiet person at the best of times. I don't usually speak unless absolutely necessary, and the more people there are around, the harder it is for me to open my mouth!

Anyway, back on topic... I'm basically the queen of avoidance. I avoid driving past places that remind me of traumatic events, even years after the fact. That (insert demeaning expletive here) lived in my neighbourhood, but I still manage to avoid its house more often than not. I take the long way round just to avoid places in this city that set off the anxiety. Side note: There are quite a few places. I may have to move to a different state if many more happen.

I know, I know... I use this song quite a bit, but it's perfect for this topic!

"Xiat"~ Trevor Moran

No comments:

Post a Comment